Saturday, May 22, 2021

Mathematically Intelligent, Eh?

Mathematically Intelligent, Eh?
I always thought I was pretty mathematically intelligent and

before I could sleep I had to make sure that Barbara was really 96 years old. To figure out her age I had to count. Well my head counts by ones but that would be hard to count from 1935 to 2021. Probably the most efficient way and the way that I still use to this very day- counting by tens and using my fingers.

For every group of 10 I put up one finger. Having the minimal extent of sign language knowledge I do expands my finger counting limitations, I can count to 20 with two hands (YES!).

 

Still sitting in the dark it is now 4:41 a.m., I start: thirty-five to forty-five is one (up goes a finger), forty-five to fifty-five is two...I am on 9 when I get to 2025 and swear I am counting wrong because I thought she is 96. I look at her birthday on her profile and start counting again…. thirty-five to forty-five is one (up goes a finger), forty-five to fifty-five is twoIn my mind I remembered that she is close to Bachan's age, but 96 is a whole 13 years older! I finally flip out the calculator And realize she is 86…3 years older than Bachan….That sounds much better and now thay I have it all figured out And typed this on my cell phone one-handed, it is 5:12 a.m.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment