Friday, September 26, 2014

Just Dance

Just Dance
Keeping a prayer journal has been done off and on since sometime in high school. Primarily my Prayer Journal was used so I could reflect on how God was working through my life. However, since my brain injury my “Prayer Journal” has been more or less a journal of my daily activities serving as my memory or external hard drive.  I’ve noticed that more often recently my prayers that are answered are not the ones I’ve been mulling over and praying about for a long time, but rather the thoughts or ideas that I “nonchalantly” pass by God in an almost joking “Dear God” fashion.    
            Last night my aunts, my mom, and I went out to have a long overdue birthday celebration for one of my aunts. When I had first heard of what we were going to be doing (dancing), I decided I was going to dance with at least one “random person” or a person I had just met. The crowd at Maxi’s was definitely not a young adult crowd as it just happened to be the last night of Maxi’s being at their current location however when you get the three stooges (the 3 sista’s as they like to call themselves) there is fun to be had. The fun wasn’t so prevalent at the begining. Walking in, I saw a man in a wheelchair and instantly thought “that’s him, that’s who I am coming to dance with.” Then reality spoke up and reminded me that most people in that situation (in a wheelchair) cannot stand, walk or much less dance—what was I thinking?  Was I? Then again, I remembered that my new friend Ace had recently taught me how to dance with a partner in a wheelchair when we were at Craig Hospital. Soon enogh the man in the wheelchair approached me and mentioned my cane. Pulling up a chair I told him of my situation and asked his.  We talked for a bit then were off to dance. We danced a few times and had more time to talk. As I am writing this I remember coming home from Fargo’s, where I meet Ace, one day and I was praying to become more knowledgeable about spinal cord injuries so I could learn more about Ace.
Fortunately but unfortunately spinal cord injuries are similar to brain injuries (what I have) and most any disability in one aspect—the disability has the undeniable label it has as the result of a scientifically sometimes obviously verifiable evidence. For example, when a bone is broken sometimes you are able to actually see the displacement of the limb or area of the body injured. There are many disabilities on the other hand that are “invisible." I am going to focus on brain injuries and spinal cord injuries although many variations exist.
Ever since.I have been brain-injured, I’ve been to events where the survivors varied. Some had a stroke, others have a TBI (traumatic brain injury) and some have a spinal cord injury. From what I have studied and been told, a brain injury is similar to a stroke as in both cases, the brain is effected. I have a friend with a spinal cord injury but he also has a brain injury so I would never know what initiated or caused an action or event. You may ask why the cause matters. Actually the cause does not matter, I just like to write, research, and gain knowledge. My philosophy is this: the brain is very malleable and actions can be learned and unlearned—the brain can re-wire itself. The spinal cord.... not so much, but I am still researching and learning about spinal cord injuries as I do not have one (my spine may disagree because I race up curbs and over speed bumps when driving my wheelchair (Hot Rod)so fast that I often land and feel my spine compress. I think my Hot Rod just needs shocks.
Last night I met a man who has a spinal cord injury and no brain injury. He is a radio personality (Jim Edwards) on 103.9 FM (Sat. 12n-6pm, Sun 6am-12n). Although I haven't herd him on the radio yet, the mere job description elicits that he is a fun person. Oh that's right, spinal cord injuries. I asked Jim what the effects of his spinal cord injury are and he said that besides paralysis he lives a “normal” life. After all of the information I’ve gathered from these injuries so far, spinal cord injuries and brain injuries are similar in the aspect that they are medically diagnosed. Any further diagnosis is self-reported and will vary according to each person.
As I started jotting down yesterdays events in my Prayer Journal so I would remember to thank God for the people and events that filled the night, this writing was the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment