Thursday, September 4, 2014

Selected the Wrong Neurotransmitter

Selected the Wrong Neurotransmitter
I have been taking an antidepressant ever since my brain injury. I have been on a few different medicines as some of them reacted really strange my body. Since I've been out in Colorado the first medicine I was on was Celexa. Celexa is an SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) meaning that it stopped my brain from re-up taking a certain amount of the neurotransmitter serotonin. After I had been taking it for quite sometime and unbeknownst to me this SSRI was selecting the wrong neurotransmitter to re-uptake.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is involved in the transmission of nerve impulses. Serotonin can trigger the release of substances in the blood vessels of the brain that in turn cause the pain of migraine. Serotonin is also key to mood regulation; pain perception; gastrointestinal function, including perception of hunger and satiety; and other physical functions. (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=5468).
Getting oddly angry and having strange  justifications for the anger, I managed to lose super important potential milestones in my life—A boyfriend left me and I didn’t pass a required class with an A or B to become a teacher.
 
Although I knew I wasn’t behaving like myself I refused to succumb to the scientific facts that the body will eventually become tolerant to certain types of medicine keeping the medicine from working. Often my reasoning for the anger would be because I was being put in a situation that I didn't like or subconsciously couldn't handle, however the situation was one I previously enjoyed and even would gain energy from. Depression is mainly diagnosed through self-report as the obvious outward expressions of the activity taking place internally are generally very accurate (like your nose itching signifying an upcoming sneeze or your stomach growling when you are hungry).
 
As I started writing this a sermon started playing. The sermon ended up being about forgiveness. I want to those I was mean to (especially Dr. Swaby and my classmates in her class) to please forgive me. I hope all of the teacher candidates I met have a great year!!


The nerotransmitter wasn't wrong parse, the body just became immune to the medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment