Sunday, April 29, 2018

The Thunder Rolls... Slowly

The Thunder Rolls... Slowly

Went to Safeway and wheeled by a man going the opposite direction who said something about going in there to waste money because their prices are so high,I thought about it and totally agreed. I wheeled all the way down to King Soopers because it was past time of Sunday buses to run. I took a long time shopping. As I was wheeling home when I noticed that my wheelchair had two squares left of battery charge. Only two squares? I shook my head really hard, close my eyes squeeze them shut and opened them back up. Sure enough, two squares. So I started heading home. By the time I got to the Safeway in front of the apartments I live in, the square was blinking and flashing. And I was traveling around to the back of Safeway there is a very slight incline. This used all my juice and my wheelchair started going very slowly -- even slower than it was before. That was a manager of some sort at the back and I told my battery was dying and asked if he would please make sure I made it down the hill and into my are my complex. He agreed to however I lost sight of him when I turned a curb but this lady going down the street somehow knew something was going on because I was going very very slow down the hill. When I finally got across the street on wheelchair would not go up the driveway into the apartment complex so I turned it off for a few seconds and then turn it back on and it let me go about 2 more feet. Had to do a couple times but I have finally made it home. In front of my building, there is a medium-length incline making it wheelchair accessible. There was also two men in front of my building working on a truck. I asked them if one of them would please push my wheelchair up the incline. I'm so grateful one of them offered to and I made it to my apartment. Next was adventure of getting up the incline ramp in front of my door. I tried to turn off my wheelchair and turn them back on but after doing that for a few minutes I realized it wouldn't work and asked the kind man who helped me up the first ramp if you would help me into my apartment. He did and then got back to work on the truck and I was in my apartment. I couldn't even park my wheelchair properly because it had absolutely no juice. After years of whining about the charger box having such a long cord and not a long charging cable, I was relieved that I could bring my charger to my parked, rather my dead wheelchair to plug it in.

Just today while I was tutoring, Aaliyah asked if my wheelchair ever died. I explained that the previous one I had did but this one has not yet. I knew that minute that I should have knocked on wood. And now you see what happens if you don't :-) I'm super excited to share this story with the girl I tutor! That's it for now! Hope you have an amazing week!

No comments:

Post a Comment