Saturday, December 28, 2013

WHAT HELPS ME




At the beginning of last semester I met a lady in my math class who also has a brain injury, however she is a lot newer to life with a brain injury. When I met her I wanted a friendship to develop but I didn't want to force anything. Since we've been out of school, she has come over every week… Okay so we’ve only been out of school for two weeks, but that's beside the point lol. I just totally loved sharing our experiences of dealing with a brain injury with each other and talking about how we have handled different situations.  Thanks to her encouragement, I think I will start sharing the random things I do to help me with my memory. Even though I'm not sure if this is going to help anyone else I will never know until I do it!

WHAT HELPS ME--
I keep a journal on my computer of what I do throughout the day. As people make plans I put them in my planner and my jornal with a question mark at the end until it has actually happened (i.e. Jamie and I intended to meet at 9:15 today). My journal had” 9:15 meet w Jaimie?” until we met then I erased the ? so I know what I did on any specific day.  I also type great things I want to remember about our meeting. I try to do this for everything but of course there are many times that too many noteworthy events take place before I am able to record anything that day; however, after sleeping I wake up with all sorts of memories from the day before. Try it… Even if you don't have brain injury this might be something you find enjoyable as it's really fun to look back through the years at what has taken place.
So that's it for my first tip, I would love to hear any of yours!
I hope to have a great new year!

~ Kimi Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment