Thursday, August 7, 2014

Root beer floats

At 2 a.m. in the morning I realized that it was free root beer float day at A&W…the firefighters-- they need root beer floats I thought. After going to visit them in the morning I had plans to go to the closest store, getting a sonicare toothbrush head, writing, then getting floats for the fire station.

I went to the neighborhood market knowing that they wouldn’t have sonicare toothbrushes but thinking and hoping that all I needed was the sonicare toothbrush head because I knew they had those as I had previously purchased one at that location. I live right behind a Target but I think that Wal-mart cheaper so I'm went down to the Neighborhood Wal-mart and picked up the toothbrush head and confirmed the fact that they don't carry the whole sonicare toothbrush. So I got on the bus go to a supercenter where I was sure they carried the whole sonicare toothbrush. The bus broke down in the middle of Academy and would not go anywhere so we had to wait for another bus. When I finally got to Wal-mart the only sonicares I could find and that they had stock were $140. I shook my head, looked again and thought there is no way, this is Wal-Mart….they have to be cheaper than any other store.
In the aisle of Walmart I called Target and asked them if they had a sonicare tooth brush and their price. Very relieved, they do have a sonicare tooth brush that is 1/3 of Wal-mart's price and I just wasn’t looking in the right spot.  After 3 or 4 hours I was headed back to where I had started to get a toothbrush. I finally got the toothbrush at much cheaper price and remembered I had to go to A&W to get the firefighters who beer floats. I stopped and thought to myself, there are 8 firefighters and you have 2 hands minus the one hand that steers the wheelchair. Your other hand….well it's not much of a drink holding hand.
            I began praying asking God to somehow send a helper because there is no way I can do this in my wheelchair by myself.  Even though my wheelchair is a hot rod and is electric I have to steer. I left the fire station headed toward A&W when  I saw a man riding his bike who looked pretty nice. I quickly wheeled up to where I could talk to the man and asked him if he wouldn't mind helping. He said that it would be no problem and off we went, headed to A&W. I explained how this might be a difficult feat to a complete because asking for 8 root beer floats when we are only 2 people is not generally “oked.”
I wheeled up to the counter and briefly explained how I had asked this person to help me bring the firefighters who beer floats. Surprisingly she didn't question me and smiled and started preparing the floats.  Soon the person I recruited to help me treating the firefighters, Shane, and I were headed to the fire station with floats in tow. The trip back to the station took a little while however we made it and were able to have a root beer floats with the firefighters!

No comments:

Post a Comment