Sunday, August 19, 2018

I Do it For Them?

I Do It For Them?
More than once, whether intentionally or unintentionally, I have been encouraged not to voice my opinion or thoughts. Today after Church and a brief visit to Starbucks, I had lunch and then decided to go on a hunt. I was hunting for something exciting to eat for dinner. I had already been to Safeway and realized they had set up bricks to grill blocking the way for wheelchair to have access through one route. I attempted to fit my wheelchair through the space and a catastrophe was created. I went around after explaining how they need to move it because although I can go on the street, not everyone that's in a wheelchair has that ability. Then I went on adventure to another store in search of different items. I was gone for quite a while and then I needed to go back to Safeway. I went back and they had not moved anything. While apologizing and giving what were probably viable excuses, I really began feel bad for raising search an issue. I was approached several times by different employees apologizing and saying that the setup will be changed.  As I mentioned, this really was not an issue for me, but for others who have no voice. After looking around the grocery store for a good hour, I was approached by an employee who thanked me for causing an issue about the location of the grill. I told him I was sorry that I caused such a problem and that it really isn't that big of an issue and he said that he had told them not to put it there but they did anyway. "Now maybe they will move it to location I suggested first. So after feeling really bad for causing such a ruckus, I learned that I am not necessarily only a voice for those who can't speak, but for those who can speak but are not listened to. I'm sure this going to ruffle some feathers and start a great conversation, but I hope it does. People, including myself, need to communicate more. Side note, my way of communicating is texting or writing so then I can reread it later and maybe I sent the wrong thing via text but it will be corrected in time. Time that will be sped up it is brought to my attention. After a very stressful day I am super excited to re-listen to today's sermon!

No comments:

Post a Comment