Thursday, August 2, 2018

Tomorrow's Blog

Tomorrow's Blog
Monday morning I wasn't awake at the random 2 in the morning, the normal 4:30 in the morning, I wasn't even awake for the next few hours. I finally got up feeling very groggy thinking that I may have the keto flu? Keto flu, I don't know but that's all I need is another name or explanation for my crazy life. After making it to the workout room I was blessed by seeing neighbors that I've seen a few times but never really talked to. Pam and Gary were such a blessing, after finding out they are from Louisiana, their Southern hospitality and kindness all made sense. Just before leaving the vicinity of the apartment complex I decided I should eat breakfast, eggs meat and cheese sounded amazing! While I was cooking I was very relieved to remember that only I would be the only one consuming the food being prepared because realized something was terribly wrong but I demolished it anyways and headed out the door. I don't need no professionally cooked food (to be read with the “[I] don't need no stinking badges” twang from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre movie). I arrived at the office and although it was a pretty warm day, I was freezing cold. Even though I had a jacket behind me, I kept having the urge to leave because it was chilly. Every time (approximately every 5 seconds) that I would think “I'm going to leave” I would look at my calendar and realize that I had a meeting at Starbucks at 2:30… people may think I am exaggerating this but it's more funny because I'm not. There was the first incident of trying to leave when luckily I looked at my phone and did not leave. The next time, I drank my tea and I was talking to the Barista, Brian. After our conversation, I was ready to go when an alarm went off and reminded me again that I have a meeting at Starbucks soon. I finally decided that if I spread out my belongings everywhere, before I had time to put it all away, my appointment would arrive. Luckily I had waited at Starbucks long enough that the original nervousness I had when I first met depression I had my appointment with was gone. The first time we met was at the same place at the beginning of her semester. She was going to school at UCCS and was in the nursing program. It had been quite a while, well a semester to be since we first met. I was so excited when she called me and was available to meet; she explained unique struggles and the difficulties she faces dealing with Lyme's disease. Although I had been introduced to this by a gentleman I met at Chick-fil-a previously, Lyme's disease affects everyone uniquely. I can't even begin to imagine what she has had to deal with going through college although I do my best and try to remember what I dealt with as I want through college. Sometimes having a brain injury is so hard… the day-to-day struggles are enough to knock you down and keep you there, but hold fast because the story's not over yet … but wait, there's more :-)!
After creating unnecessary commotion to get free ice cream because it was the 31st, I ended up back at Starbucks next to Baskin Robbins after a meeting... Oh no I'm just realizing I have written part of this blog totally different but it'll be okay. My days are all confused because I ended up back at Starbucks and met Esam and Asad but that wasn't the day I met the amazing D-11 superintendent... or was it? It is recorded in my journal but all this happened on the same day which might explain my sleeping wait... I knew today would be crazy so I slept late, in preparation for the day.
Can you turn that same day  was the reception for Michael Thomas, the new superintendent for school district 11. Before going into the building I ran into my Aunt Jan. I get overly excited every time I see her at any sort of District function… it's like her and I working in the same district is novel (it's not, it's been the case for the past five years I believe).
After meeting Michael Thomas and learning about him, I can say this after copying it off of District page “Mr. Thomas comes to D11 from Minneapolis Public Schools, where he served as chief of schools. He has also served as a district coordinator for equity and integration, an elementary and secondary principal, and as a social worker at the elementary level.

Mr. Thomas is excited to be a part of School District 11 and looks forward to continuing the positive work being done in our school district.”

https://www.d11.org/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=13&ModuleInstanceID=1649&ViewID=6446EE88-D30C-497E-9316-3F8874B3E108&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=30326&PageID=19

I encourage anyone and everyone who has a child in District 11 to meet the current superintendent! From what I know from the one time I met him, he is such a personable superintendent! I was very surprised when my friend said she would pick me up from the reception! Nonetheless, Jaimie and I we're soon off to dinner. I thought I would not have the energy to make it through something else after the reception, but spending time with Jaimie was so encouraging and uplifting! She explained her struggles and successes over the last semester and the possible directions of her future. I am so incredibly proud of the wonderful student and educator she has been!
Finally writing this blog the day after I met he superintendent, I was going to bring this blog to an end  when Pastor Brian Michaels came into Starbucks and soon after Pastor Eric Cartier came in and sat right next to my table with a friend… it is so amazing how God orchestrates every second of the lives of His children. I was having such a “ poor pitiful me” moment and was ready to go home. When I overheard the struggles of other people. I thought Kimi, put on your big girl panties….so after processing all those thoughts, it's my big girl panties I have on!

Tonight I had the most amazing helper and hopefully she's going to be my helper both days for a while. I'm getting a little tired however I do want to mention why I titled this Tomorrow's Blog. In the last blog I wrote I said that I would tell you about the excitement that happened in tomorrow's blog. Although this may not be awesome to anyone but me, my homeroom teacher from high school, my cheerleading coach, my unknown mentor connection me with a student who is interested in writing a book about his disability. That may turn out to be nothing, but you never know because everything starts somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment